A hookah can be defined as water-pipe smoking gadget used in majority of Middle Eastern cultures. It is increasingly becoming popular in many parts of the world and is also acceptable socially in party atmospheres. It is one thing to take a casual drag of hookah but what happens if you want your own hookah set up? In this article, we tell you everything you need to know with regard to setting up your hookah and even how to care for it. Read on to learn more, and be sure to browse our selection of hookahs, shisha, and hookah accessories for everything you need to get started.
Hookah Setup Guide
- Have the base of hookah filled with water and take care not to fill it with too much water. The ideal level that the water should reach is 1-1/2 inches above bottom of metal tube. This means that the tube should be submerged in water.
- Put a long stainless steel tube over crystal base or glass base. Ensure that it fits snugly and that it is airtight. You should have a rubber stopper between crystal/rubber base and metal centerpiece.
- Place the circular tray above hookah metal pipe.
- Next, have the clay bowl attached to the top part of the metal midsection. Likewise, ensure that there is a plastic grommet between clay bowl and the metal midsection.
- Have the hose placed into the midsection once again. The plastic grommet is there to ensure an airtight connection.
- Test for an airtight connection by putting your hand on the top of the bowl of your hookah and then suck in via the hose. If you feel pull at your hands and also notice bubbles in water, everything is alright. If you do not see any of the above things happening, it simply means that there is an opening through which air is escaping. Check carefully to identify the source.
- If you establish that the connection is airtight, proceed with putting some soaked tobacco into the bowl while ensuring that it has the same level as clay bowl rim. Ensure that the tobacco I sprinkled to avoid restricting the airflow. Also, avoid having a level of tobacco that overflows or that is above the bowl. Cut out a square or a round piece of foil roughly two times the diameter of your bowl and put it over the bowl while ensuring that it is airtight and flat. After that, punch small holes along the top by using a sharp object such as a toothpick.
- Get a burning charcoal piece. To prevent any injuries, make sure you hold it using the provided hookah clamp.
- With your charcoal burning, bring it inside and have it placed on top of your foil. If you want to have a longer smoke, put the burning charcoal on the bowl’s edge while working it out from outside. The last place that you want to touch is bowl’s center.
How to Smoke Hookah
By this time, your hookah is fully set up and you are ready to go.
Press down on the charcoal gently and suck in through the mouthpiece. You will see the buildup of smoke inside the base. Ultimately, after some puffs, you should be able to feel the taste of tobacco inside your mouth. Be patient and allow the charcoal to heat your tobacco.
How to Clean a Hookah
A majority of hookah hoses aren’t washable. Never run water through the hose as the hose contains a metal coil which might be corroded. Just hang it in an area that is cool and dry to give it longest possible lifespan. In case your hose is labeled as washable, just rinsing it with hot water is enough. Restrain from putting washable hoses in the clothing or dishwasher. Chances are that they will fall apart because their exteriors are not made for those conditions.
Heads / Bowls
At the very least, you should rinse the ceramic and clay bowls. It is very difficult to get rid of the black staining. Ensure that you rinse or even use small pipe brushes for cleaning out the holes and the neck of hookah bowl.
When cleaning your hookah, we advise that you make use of a cleaning solution for instance lemon juice or dish soap. For cleaning the vase, stem, and head, use vinegar or formula 420. Some people prefer soaking the vase, stem and head overnight on a cleaning solution. Another reason for using cleaning solution is to help prevent the transient hookah tobacco flavors. This in turn makes the tobacco hookah flavor to begin tasting the same.